Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The third poem in a row written with the month in the title.

A September Murder
In whispers, in screams
I hear their appraisals of me--
"Hypocrite!" "Liar!".
"Dastardly!" "Fake!".

Please, join me on this journey of self denunciation.
Won't you? Won't you denounce me too?
Drive your fist into my stomach as I spit out my teeth.
Don't stop until my jaw is the most darling shades of black and blue.
No don't stop, don't stop until you are through.

Bind me then in chains of gold;
Throw me in the ocean.
Bind me then in chains of gold.
Make sure I sink, make sure I drown.

Drown me, dead.
Dead, dead.
Make sure I'm dead.
As the water fills my lungs, say a prayer.
Dedicate it to the life I should have led,
That I will lead.

I'll come back to you, back to the shore,
With salt on my skin, with sweat on my brow.
Through miles of struggle and internal war,
I'll reclaim compassion, to renounce nevermore.

Forget who I was as I crawl ashore,
Wearing as a necklace that by which I was once bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment